Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 1990 club wagon with 4.9L. It turns over but does not…

Customer Question
I have 1990 club...

I have 1990 club wagon with 4.9L. It turns over but does not start. I am quite sure that both pumps, relay, inertia sw., and spark is good. I have fixed this before by cleaning the (5) 8pin connectors that are right under hood, and the 3 that are behind the engine. The most tell tale symptom is this: when it is working properly, I can turn on the key and hear a hum/buzz for about 2 seconds. Then it will start. When it is not right, the hum/buzz goes on constantly. It seems that something is disabling the injectors?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It is in park, and I know not of a wheel lock feature.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Club Wagon yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. I have confirmed function of both pumps, relay, inertia sw. and have spark. I have also cleaned the previously mentioned multi pin connectors. This has happened a couple of times before, and the cleaning was always the solution, but not this time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

To me, the differences in the hum/buzz sound will hopefully be the biggest clue. They happen in the ignition "on" position before I actually try to turn it over.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/14/2018
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Is this problem constant? or is it intermittent? thanks.

It is constant. It will fail to start and will not start until I go through the repair process, which has always included checking the pumps, the inertia switch, the relay, the spark, and sometimes the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line and other stuff, only to find that cleaning the 5 multi pin connectors on top of the engine and the 3 in the back of the engine would get it going. Then it is good for 3 or 4 months or maybe a year before I have the problem again. Lately I just go straight to the connectors, but this time it made no difference, so I went back to the basics, but still no go. Is there something that can disable or override the fuel injectors? Some other sensor or computer not getting proper signal from something?

There are some things that can inhibit the injectors from pulsing. if the computer isn't getting a signal from the PIP in the distributor or it can be the ECM itself not grounding the injectors. The first thing to check, is to make sure you have 12 volts to the injector RED wire when it won't crank with the key on. The PCM relay provides power to the injectors the whole time the key is on. and the engine computer or PCM grounds and pulses the injectors as needed. Do you have a volt meter or 12 volt test light by chance?

Checking for power at the fuel injectors with key ON, and checking for spark to the plugs when cranking will tell us usually what it's missing.

I can do that. It is raining here pretty good. I will be on that in the morning. I think it is very likely that there is no voltage at injectors, but I am pretty sure that spark is ok. I really appreciate your help, Edward. Thank you! I will get back to you, tomorrow. Good evening to you.

Absolutely, let me know what you find there. if no voltage, I think it will be fairly easy to fix. Thanks.

Were you able to find out if the injectors had power with the key on? Thank you
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago

I see this question is still open. Did you need to ask us anything else ? Thank you.

Great. thanks for using our service and let us know if you need us again.