Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1988 Ford F-250, 351, 5 speed, duel tanks. Bought truck and…

Customer Question
1988 Ford F-250 Dooley...

1988 Ford F-250 Dooley, 351, 5 speed, duel tanks. Bought truck and drove 16 miles. Vehicle stalled. Had towed to repair shop. They said tanks were rusted and fuel pumps & filters shot. Replaced 2 fuel tanks, 2 internal fuel pumps, (supposedly) 1 external pump, fuel tank selector switch and fuel filter. Paid them almost $1200.00. Drove truck 15 miles and stalled and would not start. Had truck towed to shop. They let it set there 5 years and would not/could not fix it and told me to have it towed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your car been stalling?

Moved vehicle home. Replaced fuel in tanks with new fuel. Nothing. Spray starting fluid into hose from air filter and engine starts immediately and runs smoothly for a few seconds - then runs out of fuel. Fuel filter clean. Tom. ***@******.***

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. History in first message.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is it. I really don't know for sure what the repair shop did - all I know is what they told me.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/13/2018
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Do you have a voltmeter by chance? and do you know where the fuel pump relay is out under the hood in the underhood fuse box. Thank you.

I will have a voltmeter tomorrow. I think I can find the fuel pump relay. The fuel pumps (I can hear them) run for about 1 second when the ignition is turned on - but no to fuel filter.
Text is fine. No phone calls.

OK, so the pumps do run, and but you get no fuel pressure? that's odd, if it sat for 5 years, I suppose it's possible the filter could be gelled up, what kind of bed is on the truck? you have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump correct? it doesn't have a raised bed on it?

It is a flat bed. The fuel filter is clear. Easy to blow through. Not jelled up.

Alright, do you know where the fuel pump safety or inertia switch is on the truck? I want to check voltage there while cranking.

I am, putting it up for tonight. Will locate the fuel pump inertia switch. 12V while cranking?

Yes, while cranking , it only get's voltage for 1-2 seconds with key cycle, but it's supposed to get voltage the whole time the engine is cranking if the PCM see's a signal from the pick up coil in the distributor.

it's a little hard to see with a key cycle. you can jump the fuel pump relay from 30 to 87 and make the pump run. it should have pressure then if the pump is running. Check those things out and let me know. thank you.

Ok

Thank you.

If the lines are clear and the pump is running, then there is no reason why it shouldn't be getting pressure unless the pump is bad or there is no gas in the tank. The PCM relay grounds the fuel pump, I would like to jump the fuel pump relay with a jumper wire and hotwire one of the fuel pumps basically and see if it builds any fuel pressure then. There is a schrader valve at the fuel rail, If you can get a fuel pressure gauge we can get to the bottom of it I feel sure. Thank you. let me know what else you need from me.

Where is the fuel pump safety or inertia switch located on a 1988 Ford F-250 dooley pickup, 351 engine and 5 speed.