Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1991 E-150 Front fuel tank overflows while running on the…

Customer Question
1991 E-150 Front fuel tank...
1991 E-150 Front fuel tank overflows while running on the rear tank. front tank gauge does not work but will run if front is selected on the switch. What needs replaced? Hank
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/13/2018
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

The check valve has failed in the front fuel pump. My advice would be to replace the front fuel pump module. It comes with a new sending unit as well, so you can kill two bird with one stone there most likely with the fuel gauge sending unit problem. Don't put an Airtex in it. I would go motorcraft or Delphi, Delphi works good in my van and it's a 94. I had no problems with it, been in there a couple years. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

WRONG! I had a new unit put in. The gauge now works but the tank still fills up while driving on the rear. $200 and I still have the problem.
Could be tank selector valve. But I've fixed them before by replacing the pump. Sorry about that. I'll opt out in case another expert has another suggestion.
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Different expert here, are you still needing help with this?

It seems like you guys are "JUST GUESSING"!

Actually, I am not and I can tell you what the problem is that you're having with the fuel return returning to the wrong tank. It's not a bad pump. Ford had a recall for this problem and your 1991 E 150 was part of the recall. The problem is caused by a failing fuel tank selector valve. See the recall in the link below as this is the cause of the problem you are having.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lo3z1wquoxwy6vv/selector%20valve%20Mar%2021.pdf?dl=0