Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 95 F-250 with a 460 n 4-whl drive. Out of the

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 95 F-250 with a 460 n 4-whl drive. Out of the blue,(drove the truck 3 hrs prior) went to start the truck and got a thud sound from the starter relay, and no sound from the starter.then turn the ignition switch off, then on again and got nothing(no sound) and faded power, try a third time to start faded power on key on then power off when turn to full start. Then turn key on again and have full power to lights and horn ect, but when I turn key all the way to start, power fades to nothing or all dark. Checked the battery voltage 12.9 but thee battery is 4 years old, but no prior problems with it. then we tried arching the starter relay on the fender wall,and got a click out of the relay and and nothing at the starter...soo replace the starter(old one had a grinding sound and was only 1/3 the speed of the new one when we bumped them on the ground with a battery and jumper cables) go to start again and get a solid click out of the relay, but nothing(no sound) at the starter. Tried one more time with jumper cables and another truck but again no start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we tried everything I wrote in opening paragraph

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Seems like some kind of short or massive battery draw

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Take a good look at your battery cables, and engine grounds first. Do you have an ohm meter by chance? thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Phone call session started