Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Accidentally crossed the jumper cables. Got a big flash.

Customer Question
Accidentally crossed the jumper...

Accidentally crossed the jumper cables. Got a big flash. Everything's dead. No headlights. No ignition. No dome lights. Think the 'fusible link' is fried. Don't know where it is.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1991 E-350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had AAA in -- they cleaned the bat. terminals and still could locate the wiring flaw.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Vehicle has been idle for over a year.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Ford Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, which engine does your van have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4,7? v8 -- not really certain -- the vehicle is an F350 (one ton)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's not convenient to pursue this at this time. Have to sign off. (How do I do that?)

You can just book mark this page and open it back up later. i'll post your info on fusible link location in a minute

All the fusible link are connected right to the starter solenoid on the side with the positive battery cable on the passenger side inner fender. Just use a multimeter to check for voltage on the wire past the link. if there is not 12 volts replace the link. Below is a diagram.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician