Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2009 ford edge SEL v6 FWD trans fluid level was slightly…

2009 ford edge SEL v6...
2009 ford edge SEL v6 FWD
trans fluid level was slightly low, so I added fluid as needed. A couple days later, I heard a clunk as I turned up a hill, and the car went into limp mode with DTC P0657 (no other codes, no wrench light, no ODO error). I was almost home, so I was able to get it into the driveway. Now when you shift into park or drive, there's a very hard clunk as it shifts, and it's still in limp mode. I checked all connectors and pins, but found no bent, broken or corroded pins/terminals. Also did not find any broken or chaffed wires. When the fluid was drained, there were no chunks or metal shavings.
3/13/2018
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

P0657 is indicating a voltage interrupt on the transmission solenoid power circuit. Below are the steps to check for power at the transmission connector, as well as circuit testing between the PCM and transmission. The harsh engagement is due to high line pressure as a result of limp mode.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntnrkl725efy0w0/solenoidpower.pdf?dl=0

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
KOEO, I have 12 volts at C168-15, and there is no visible damage to any pins on the trans side of the plug.
What could have caused the solenoid body assembly to fail? (if it has)

Possible heat damage on the internal leadframe is all I can think of though I have never seen it, and I've been in hundreds of these. Looks like time to pull the pan and have a look. You might want to put a load on that circuit first and see if it can carry current. The meter can still show 12 volts with high resistance in the circuit. I usually use a 12 volt bulb, it should glow nice and bright when attached between 15 and ground.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, I'm at work now, but I'll be able to try that this afternoon when I get home. Would a test light work? Or should I use an actual bulb?

I would use a bulb, test light doesn't draw much more than the meter,especially if its an led bulb.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I'll reply tonight with my findings.

OK sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just checked C168-15 with a 12v bulb, and it was a strong light. Equal to connecting the bulb straight to the battery.

Ok then, good circuit. Time to take a look inside.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Inside the solenoid body? Or inside the transmission?

The solenoid body,leadframe and valve body are behind the pan. The leadframe is plastic and houses all the circuits that connect the vehicle harness to the solenoids. I wasn't sure how far you wanted to go, the pan and solenoid body would need to be removed, then the leadframe removed from the solenoid body and inspected for obvious heat damage and can also be tested with a meter to see if it is open.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm already into it, and I don't mind learning a thing or two. Do you have any sort of disassembly instructions/diagram for the solenoid body?

Here you go.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sb6gq6hy8bqvbfi/SOLENOIDBODY.pdf?dl=0

Just so you know if the solenoid body is replaced it requires programming with a dealer scan tool.

The leadframe is not available separate from the solenoid body, just need to verify the open or short. Very remote possibility the PCM is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sir, I just want to confirm the failure before I buy.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The attachment was only removal and replacement of the solenoid body. Do you have instructions/diagram of tearing down the solenoid body itself?

No, Ford does not publish them, they don't approve us to disassemble it. You will see the bolts that hold the leadframe to the solenoid body.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it, thank you. I'll check it out in a few minutes and let you know what I find.

Ok sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a specific time that you log off and stop replying for the day?

Its hit or miss, I do get notified. Usual response time at most is an hour. I do knock off for the day 8pm PST

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I removed all the torx screws from the solenoid body. It appears there's still a few rivets holding everything together. Does that sound right? If so, is there any way to test without removing the rivets? I'll do what I need to, I just didn't want to go drilling out rivets and end up regretting it.

I don't remember there being rivets, maybe different on the early build for this trans. You can use an ohmmeter from pin 15 to the terminals on each solenoid, See if any of them show open. The first step of the pinpoint test I sent did say if voltage present to replace the solenoid body, I just thought we would see some obvious heat damage

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've attached a picture of the solenoid terminal side of the solenoid housing. Using the picture as reference, I read 24 ohms and .4 ohms on the top solenoid terminals, and I read 5 ohms and .4 ohms on each of the other solenoids.
Is that going from the solenoid terminals to pin 15
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sir.
Okay I'm going to grab some dinner I'll be right back with you

I don't have any diagrams for the leadframe, but I know that one pin is constant power and the other is ground which the PCM modulates to control the solenoid. That being said I would expect the power pins on all of the solenoids to read close to zero ohms to pin 15, (your .4 ohm value) and the ground pins to read infinite resistance to pin 15. With the other pins having that much continuity to to the power pin is leading me to believe there is a short somewhere in the leadframe.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, It seems to me like we've pretty much confirmed the failed solenoid body assembly. Would you agree?
Also, could you give me the Ford part number for the assembly?

Yes I would agree confirmed.

Can I get the VIN# ***** look up the part?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2FMDK38C79BA96986

AA5Z-7G391-A

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you sir. I'll try to get the part installed before my trial runs out so I can let you know the outcome.
Thank you for all your help.

Your very welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got the new solenoid body on, and everything put back together. I should be able to get an appointment for Friday to get the computer work done on it.

Sounds good, let me know how it goes...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am very pleased to let you know that everything is back to normal. I dropped it off at a local shop this morning, and they had it ready to pick up before noon. Thank you very much for all your help.

Your welcome! Glad it all worked out.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech