Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Truck is running pretty good except when I go to pull a

Customer Question
Hello again. Ok...truck is running...
Hello again. Ok...truck is running pretty good except when I go to pull a small hill or accelerate to pass. Then it bogs down and I lose speed. I'll go from 65 to 50 trying to climb a fairly small grade. It kicks down into a lower gear buy just bogs. More gas I give it, the more it bogs.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/13/2018
Ford Mechanic: davehop, Ford Technician replied 3 months ago
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
When was the last time you change the fuel filter?
4 days
New pumps screen and cartridge filter
This apparently common problem. When I looked it up online a bunch of people were having this issue
That means a bunch of people complaining about the issue but nobody coming up with the solution
it runs fine up until you floor it and then it just bogs down? At this point based on how it's been running and have you were dumping fuel because of a bad fuel pressure regulator I would drop the Y pipe from the exhaust manifolds cuz you may have a clogged catalytic converter so drop the Y pipe down and take it for a ride and see if it has full power again
Ok..I will, but there is excellent exhaust flow out the tailpipe
but that doesn't mean when you floor the gas pedal that the added flow is not going to be able to go through ..... Let's drop the Y pipe and see if that's the problem
Ok...took off cat....same issue
you're certain that the timing is exactly where it needs to be at 10 degrees before top dead center with the spout disconnected?
Absolutely
Could ignition module be bad?
Okay so here's the deal anytime in ignition system goes out either you're going to get a bucking concern like a misfire it's going to Buck or it's just going to stall out completely when you're losing fuel you're losing volume you're not losing entirely the fuel you're just losing the added volume so the engine is not going to die but it's going to bog down so I'm not worried so much about your ignition system as I am your fuel delivery system so I think we should put a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on this thing and take it for a ride and see what the fuel pressure is when you punch it or at the point when you're trying to overcome the hill and see what the fuel pressure does cuz if it was an ignition system failure the engine would shut down or it would be bucking and you're not saying that it's doing that you're just saying that it's bogging down
Ok
let me know what happens after you put a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on there and tell me what the pressure is when your flooring it
Ok...fuel pressure when floored was 32
Did you replace the fuel pump in the gas tank or the one that's on the frame rail under the driver seat?
Both
You should have at least 45 PSI with that gas pedal to the floor so you're losing fuel pressure or somewhere and that's what's causing you to bog down..... Take a close look at your fuel lines make sure none of them are kinked or pinched or bent at a weird angle anything that would cause the fuel delivery to be impaired
Ok I will look
Ok...let me know
All the lines look good...no kinks, etc. It's new line from the tank to the hp fuel pump. I blew it all out with an air hose and put it back. It's didn't change anything
The only other thing I could suggest you at this point is maybe that there was some crud in the gas tank and it's being sucked up into the pickup of the fuel pump and it's decreasing the amount of fuel it's flowing I really don't have much else for you to go on the catalytic converter is not clogged you definitely don't have an ignition system concern otherwise like I told you it would be bucking so unfortunately we have to look at basic things now so I think my next step would be to see if it's got any crud inside the fuel tank...
Ok...but here is a new symptom that is maybe tied in...from a stand still I acceleraye at a moderate rate....the truck accelerates then pauses fora split second, then continues to accelerate...
It's not a buck it acts like the ignit in or fuel is cut off and then back on instantly
It definitely wouldn't be the ignition system cuz if you lose your ignition system the engine is not going to restart it's going to stall and stay stalled until you start it over again with the key so I'm not really interested in pursuing anything with the ignition system this is a fuel delivery problem that you're having
Driving around with that fuel pressure gauge hooked up to it and see if at the point where it bucks or where it cuts out see what the fuel pressure does at that exact point that we will know if we're losing fuel which is then causing the problem or not
Ok...I will have to wait til the weekend to drop the tank and start all over.
Ok
Thanks again...we can close this out
Ok.