Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I was replacing a clutch on a 1985 f150 with a 300 inline 6.

I was tightening the pressure...
I was replacing a clutch on a 1985 f150 with a 300 inline 6. I was tightening the pressure plate bolts and 2 of the 6 broke off. should I try to get them out and replace the bolts or just go ahead and get a new flywheel, or can I just leave it alone and put it back together?
3/13/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

I would remove the pressure plate and see if you can work out those broken bolts with a pick. If that fails I would use a reverse drill bit to walk them out. I see no reason to replace the flywheel unless it has high spots. I would not run with 2 bolts broke. The pressure plate will warp and cause chattering.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

ok I will try to get them out. I don't know if it has high spots but there are some blue spots on the flywheel

HIgh spots will be shown as blueing on the flywheel surface.

oh ok. so I should probably go ahead and get a new one?

If they are small then some sandpaper and wire brush can address them. If they are large then having it resurfaced will be fine. Another option is just to replace it.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
ok thank you.

You are welcome