Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2008 f150 fx4 rear view mirror camera was working & now…

My 2008 f150 fx4...

My 2008 f150 fx4 rear view mirror camera was working & now when I put it in reverse it turns blue for about 3 seconds & then blank

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I’m trying to trace the wires but don’t know where they are located

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

I didn’t know there is fuses for that. I do not have. I’ve tried to look online but can’t find anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s it

3/13/2018
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

The problem is not the wiring, it is the camera itself causing the problem. The rear view camera on the tail gate will have to be replaced to fix the problem.

Well I disconnected the wire from the camera coming from the truck & checked for power I get nothing

You will only get power on the WHITE/LIGHT BLUE wire at the camera with the key turned on.

The harness wire coming from the front that connects to the camera is the one I checked with the key on & no power coming through

The WHITE/LIGHT BLUE wire gets power form fuse #18 in the dash fuse box. It also powers up the rear view mirror video display.

Ok I will go check it right now

Ok.

Ok. No fuce problem

So the fuse has power?

I checked the fuce & it wasn’t blown

You will have to trace the wiring under the truck from the dash fuse box to the rear view camera.

See the wiring diagram below.

Also are the wiring connectors on the frame rail on the drivers side front to rear that the power circuit goes through.

I was hoping u weren’t going to ask me that. I’m not sure & don’t know how to understand what u sent me. Don’t know much about cars

Sorry, but since you do not have power at the camera, and the fuse is good, you have either a broken wire or a poor connection between the fuse and the camera. It will have to be traced out with a digital mulitmeter.

Ok. Thank you. I appreciate ur help

Your welcome..

A. Penland