Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 Ford Expedition EL Limited. Trying to remove lower

2011 Ford Expedition EL...

2011 Ford Expedition EL Limited. Trying to remove lower thermostat housing to change both seals. Have tried every angle but it won’t come out. What’s the trick?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford Expedition EL. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Not at this point

3/13/2018
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

You will have to remove the bolts from the intake manifold and slightly lift it up to access the 8 mm bolt on the drivers side of the coolant crossover tube you are trying to remove. The front bolts of the intake manifold hold it down and are in the way.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I already have all crossover tube bolts removed but the crossover tube won’t come out. On the passenger side it goes underneath the manifold for one of the bolt holes so the crossover tube won’t just lift up and out. No matter what angle I try to get the crossover tube out it catches on something.

Like I stated, you will have to unbolt the intake manifold and lift it up to remove the crossover tube. The intake manifold is holding it into position.

See below.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I need to remove them completely or just loosen all 10 bolts?

Remove the bolts and lift it up to allow the crossover tube to be removed. Also, the gaskets tend to stick. So bump it slightly to break the gasket seals loose from the cylinder heads.

A. Penland
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it! Done! Thank you.

Your welcome.

eric remington
eric remington, FORMER SHOP OWNER/TECHNICIAN/INSPECTOR
Phone call session started
A. Penland
A. Penland