Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It wouldn't come out of park when I pressed the brake pedal.

Customer Question
It wouldn't come out...

It wouldn't come out of park when I pressed the brake pedal. My brother removed the fixtures around the gear that is located in the middle of the console and lifted up a piece to get it out of gear so I could drive it home. Now I don't have to press the brake pedal to get it in gear and now I don't have any brake lights. I'm worried about this being a costly repair.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

The brake fluid is at its max and wouldn't I have gotten some type of warning or had a signal that it was low when I pressed the brake pedal. The brake lights were working fine until the piece that initiates and connects after I hit the brake pedal to release the gear from park to reverse or drive was moved in order to get it in gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2010 Ford Expedition King Ranch Edition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

No my Brother is. He is very knowledgeable but, He has tried a brake light switch and some other type of switch with both failures. I'm scheduled to take it to a certified Ford Dealer on Wednesday I was just trying to get some idea of what is wrong so , I will have some idea of what it's going to cost me for the repairs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No don't think its any thing else at this time. Thank you.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/13/2018
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 4 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Check fuse 43 in the engine bay fuse box. Also, the problem originated at the shifter. The brake shift interlock is the cause of the problem with the shifter. The floor shifter assembly will have to be replaced.