Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can you supply a diag tree for 1988 Ranger 2.3 code 18? I…

Can you supply a...

Can you supply a diag tree for 1988 Ranger 2.3 code 18?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

I have reset and it comes back. it is a coil pack issue code. It has 2 coils. how do I figure out which one? 2.3 4 cyl. dual plug engine. acording to my book, "Distributorless Ignition System primary circuit failure or failure in spark angle word (SAW

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, It had the code before I overhauled the engine. (overheated and cooked the head gasket) and since it has 265,000 miles. I decided to go through the engine. Truck runs great! But since will have to pass smog. It can not have a check engine light on. I guess I could just unplug one coil pack and see what happens. And then possibly the other. But there are notes about tach signal also. Is there a diagnostic tree available? So that I can run through it to verify good or bad issues?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has a new cat converter, (it was plugged) plugs, wires, all EEC connections were cleaned when engine was out. And KOEO came up with no codes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to find out if it is a tach feed problem or a coil pack problem. I could unplug one coil pack and see what happens. And then the other. Thoughts?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This vehicle is not equipped with a tach gauge. So I have no idea if the tach reading is inconsistant or not.
3/12/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

I can't find much on actual code description but here is troubleshooting chart for code 18. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brtpf7pj76hc8n4/N.pdf?dl=0

I think the most likely problem is the ignition module based on the limited information I can find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am an old (heavy on the old) retired Ford service manager and ASE Master Tech. I have never heard of one these style of ignition modules failing for only one coil pack. Can you provide notes or a link that shows this?

I​ have a subscription to a database that shows common causes and ignition module is listed a few times. Ignition module is also listed as possible problem on the troubleshooting chart, most other things would cause driveability issues. Here is screen shot of database I have. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77cj47m5taba2mf/coil.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also this diag tree is for an e-core coil. Not a dual plug coil pack. My truck must be a late 88. So a 1989 tree will work better for me.

Thanks, ***** ***** a few minutes to look into it.

Here is tree for the 89. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkgg1adto5q23mq/18.pdf?dl=0

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks I think I am good for now.

No problem, let me know how it turns out or if you run into questions.

Dan, Technician