Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 93 4.0 ranger loses power under load once up to running…

Hi my 93 4.0...

Hi my 93 4.0 ranger loses power under load once up to running temp everything electrical has been replaced as well as MAS and coolant sensor's

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Its pretty consistant

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well had into ford dealer who replaced MAS and PCM worked for about a week

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Like i say everything electrical has been replaced

3/12/2018
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Was the fuel pump replaced as well? If so, what is the fuel pressure specifications at when accelerating under a load?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
fuel pump was not replaced ford dealer said pressure was fine under idle but not under load also seem to have a possible head gasket leak on passenger side oil looks ok though

So it could be the fuel pump. I would recommend to start by verifying fuel pressure under a load when this occurs. You could jut have a weak fuel pump.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
would a leaking head gasket cause this problem ?

Based on my experience, no unless the engine was misfiring under a load. This is because if the coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber on any of the cylinders, it can and will cause a misfire condition.

But if the engine is bogging down (all cylinders are being affected), then I would suspect a fuel delivery concern provided the timing chain is good and the exhaust is not plugged up.

I hope this helps! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN