Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 ford focus was driving car then transmission light or…

Customer Question
2001 ford focus was driving...
2001 ford focus was driving car then transmission light or the yellow gear in the intrument cluster turned on and the car slowed down and I stopped. It also felt like the car just down shifted on its own. I do have a code p1780 transmission control switch o/d cancel circuit out of self test range
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/12/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Your scan tool may not be good enough. Will your tool allow you to see the solenoid activity occurring inside the transaxle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have an autel 908 pro
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What am i looking for. The car also has 328000 miles bu the way
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello?

With that warning light, there should be codes stored for the transaxle. The code you got was from not pressing the OD switch during the scan. That code requires no programming.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok i will drive the car and check actual values. I have not codes at this moment. But when the light turned of the downshift has harsh and i lost power. What should i check for in actual values when im driving the car?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just drove today with my scanner and of course nothing happend. What solenoid do i need to look at?

Being able to monitor solenoids was just for me to confirm your scan tool is good enough to get transaxle codes. Not all tools can get codes from the trans. So at this point, we need to wait for codes to return before diagnosing since the issue has not returned.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The car turn of at idle. I was doing 55 miles per hour and it down shifted so hard to 2 or maybe 1 gear not sure it it banged. Then at at light i started to go and the light turned on and it slipped. Tha light always turns non what it has its episodes but i have not codes

Are you saying the warning light is coming on but your tool can get no codes from it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Theres no codes registering for my tool to see. The gear light with exclamation comes on then goes off

There should be codes. I would be extremely rare for there not to be codes with a warning light on. This puts you going into the transaxle blind testing all things to try and fond the cause. Is that the process you want to try or see if another's scan tool will get you the codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The gear with the exclamation in the center light comes on but then goes away

I recommend another scan tool tried before going into the transaxle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Isnt the engine control module and tcm all in one?

There is not a TCM on this model but yes the PCM controls the engine and transaxle, but the codes for the trans are in a special partition inside the PCM that most generic scan tools just cannot access.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Today i got c1500 transfer case contact plate b encoder circuit fault

That is impossible. You do not have a transfer case on your front wheel drive Focus. DIfferent scan tool needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know but thats what i have pending

That just proves your scan tool is not able to communicate with your car correct. Your car can not store this code. So the scan tool is making up this code.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I think I figured it out. The speed sensor was full of oil in the connector. I think it was shorting out losing its speed signal and causing the car to down shift abruptly. Since i cleaned it ive been driving the car with no issues
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ill let you know if all goes well
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 30 days ago

Thanks for the update on what you found and keeping in touch.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician