Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

84 f250 brake switch has continuous 12 volts in and out with…

84 f250 brake switch has...
84 f250 brake switch has continuous 12 volts in and out with out the brake pedal pressed in. No brake lights. blinkers/reverse lights work perfect
3/12/2018
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

are you there??

Sorry, i went to test the wires. I just got the steering wheel off to get to the turn signal switch

ok, be back in a few myself

okay so i have power to the turn signal switch. Green wires shows just under 12 volts.
what I am confused on is the green wires that come to the brake switch. They both have continuous 12 volts without the brake pressed down. shouldn't only 1 side have power continuously and the other one only have power when the brake is pushed down?

no, you should only have power through the switch with the pedal pressed down. that is a bad switch but even with that, the brake lights should still work.

did you check for power back to the sockets?? If you do not have power and the turn signal work, then you have a bad turn signal switch.

Roy

I replaced the switch this morning and still the same thing. 12 volts on both sides without brake pressed in.I have the steering wheel off and the turn signal switch exposed right now. Where/what do i need to test for power?

orange/light blue , light green/orange should have power with pedal depressed.

Roy

neither of those have power with pedal depressed

if the light green wire from the brake light switch has battery voltage and you have no output that leaves only the switch itself. the power is transferred internally to those wires based on turn signal stalk position.

Roy

thank you. is the part called turn signal switch? I looked at oreilleys (next to my house) and I am not seeing the correct part.

let me check

rock auto, you need to specify with or without tilt wheel

Roy

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1984,f-250,5.8l+351cid+v8,1123793,electrical-switch+&+relay,turn+signal+switch,4832

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Thank you,
I will order one

sounds like a plan. get yourself a brake light switch as well.

Roy

Roy

Brake light switch is replaced already. Replaced that first. Still same issue with that. Continuous power to both wires without pedal pressed.

did you use all the bushings that the old one had??

any update

Still trying to figure out why I have power on both wires for the brake switch. My buddy has a similar vehicle and he has power to bottom side, and then top side has power when pedal is pressed. There has to be a reason. Some problem why both sides have continuous power

make sure it is set up the way I sent you. if you do not replace the or install the bushings correctly it will do that.

make sure you mounted the switch correctly and not upside down

Roy

I disconnected the brake switch to where I only have the clip and he wires. I checked it and I have power to both wires without it connected to the actual brake pedal. With the ignition off completely, it acts as it should. One side shows 12 volts, the other 0 until I hit the brake pedal and it jumps to 12 volts. But with the ignition on, they both have continuous power.

when you have it off. it will pass current. can you push on the switch and make it have power on one side only. this is with it off the pedal

Roy

with the ignition off and it connected properly, only 1 side has power. when ignition is turned on, both sides have power.

with the switch disconnected and wires off??

I still show 12 volts to both wires on the brake switch with wires on and off.The only way I can get one wire with 12 volts and not the other, is when the key is turned off.

ok, then you must have a feed back from the turn signal switch.

dis connect the turn signal switch and re try the test.

Roy

any update

Ordered the turn signal switch. Just waiting for the new one. It will be here today. Hopefully have it installed before the weekend. Hopefully... I’ll keep ya posted

ok

Roy

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Thank you for your help Roy! Switch came in and i got it working. Works better than ever!

your welcome

thank you