Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Ford F4 50 with a 7.3 diesel it’s leaking oil…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Ford F4 50 with a 7.3 diesel it’s leaking oil from the place in the back of the pan not the pan but behind the pan

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '50 Ford?

450 450

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I’m having it worked on by a mechanic but I’m not sure I trust a guy he say my old pump is bad No I’m having it worked on by a mechanic but I’m not sure I trust a guy he say my old pump is bad

3/12/2018
Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician

greetings,

Did the mechanic make sure the high pressure oil pump is not leaking?

I don’t know what he did I’m not a mechanic he said I need A oil pump

high pressure or low pressure pump? if the high pressure leaks it can look like a rear engine oil leak. The block valley will cause the oil to leak out the back.

No I’m not paying another $26 I already paid $36 just answer my question could be something other than the oil pump

It can be the rear main , rear cover that can leak. Most times the leak in the rear of the engine is the high pressure pump going and draining down the valley of the block.

They could it possibly be the rear seal
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

Very likley the rear main seal. Pulling the starter or the inspection plate would help confirm if it's rear main seal

by pulling the inspection cover up I should be able to tell whether not it’s all pump or the rear seal

If it's wet in the bellhousing it's the rear main seal

OK let me ask you this if that was the rear seal it would be far Less money to fix right

Correct

Thank you very much you’ve been most Thank you very much you’ve been most helpful

Thanks again hope you can rate my service 5 star

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy