Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

THE HEATER MOTOR WILL COME ON AFTER THE IGNITION SWITCH IS…

THE HEATER MOTOR WILL...

THE HEATER MOTOR WILL COME ON AFTER THE IGNITION SWITCH IS TURNED OFF. WHEN i GET OUT OF THE TRUCK IT IS OFF. I COME BACK THE NEXT DAY AND THE MOTOR HAS RUN THE BATTERY DEAD

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

THATS NO PROBLEM. THIS STARTED WHEN I CHANGED THE IGNITION SWITCH BLOCK LOCATED ON THE STEERING COLUMN. IT LIKE OUT OF ALIGNMENT.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1999 FORD F350 DIESEL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I HAVE LOOSENED THE INGITION SWITCH TO SEE IF I COULD MOVE IT A LITTLE AS WHEN I TURN THE KEY I HAVE TO BACK IT OFF TO HIT THE STARTER CONTACTS. IM THINKING THIS IS A SWITCH ALIGNMENT PROBLEM

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO I JUST WANT THIS FAN TO STOP RUNNING WHEN THE IGNITION SWITCH IS OFF. IF I TURN OFF THE SWITCH CONTROLLING THE FAN THIS DOES STOP THE PROBLEM. IT IS ONLY WHEN I LEAVE IT ON AND RELY ON THE IGNITION SWITCH TO TURN OFF THE FAN THAT I HAVE A PROBLEM.

3/12/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The common cause for this type of problem is usually due to a water leak at the left top side of the windshield allowing water to leak in and run down the left windshield post and drip on the GEM module that mounts to the top of the interior fuse panel. The place to start is to remove the interior fuse box, located in the lower left corner of the dash, then remove the GEM module from the fuse panel and look to see if you have any signs of moisture and or corrosion. If corrosion or moisture is found, you can usually dry it them out and solve this problem. You are also going to need to have the windshield resealed to avoid further problems.
See the Fuse and GEM removal steps in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2iyo0kurqf30zho/GEM%20Mar%2012.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is an interesting fix. I have a cracked windshield and never thought that could be the problem. I will look into this later today.Thank you for your help. I will send you an email as to the discovery of removing the fuse block and if it eliminated the problem. I guess i need to have the windshield replaced.
Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to get to work. I've had the battery charger on now for about an hour and it should start.
Thanks,

It's a very common problem and the water cause internal shorting which cause the type of problem you are having. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician