Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have a 2001 Lincoln Town Car with ABS codes 1222 & 1299.

Customer Question
We have a 2001...

We have a 2001 Lincoln Town Car with ABS codes 1222 & 1299. we also have SEP code U1041 code. The speedometer starts to go crazy with the needle jumping up/down constantly. The ABS light comes on around that time. Are these problems connected somehow, if so which do you repair 1st?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just the ABS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, and have not started to work on it yet. Some told me that 1 of the rear wheel sensor may be the problem, but they weren't sure.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of right now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/12/2018
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

your left rear wheel speed sensor is bad.

are all of the tires the same size?

procedure

on the tires. will this senor affect the speedometer?

the sensor will turn on the abs light.

and once the abs light comes on the vehicle loses the ability to know what speed it's going through a serial data bus and will have mismatched speed signals causing the speedometer to be erratic

hows it going?