Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Right front turn signal does not work. Bulbs have been

Customer Question
Right front turn signal...

Right front turn signal does not work. Bulbs have been replaced and the fuses are fine. I believe I need to look at the harness or relay??

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

120k...actually no. I was going to look at replacing the starter because I have a long lag in cranking with no turn over SOMETIMES

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001 expedition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Checked fuses and bulbs. Are function well

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Apparently the hazards do not flash either Yes

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/12/2018
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 month ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

We have seen issues with the wires pulling out of the connector on the multifunction switch. Tilt the steering wheel to the full up and retest. Then take the trim panels off the steering column and check the wires on the multifunction switch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great thank you. I will have to look at it later tomorrow or this week....any other possibilities I might check? Also, am I still contact you if I have further questions?

the wiring is the most common cause. The plastic wiring connector is still available from Ford.

You can reply back on this page. I am on line in the evenings after I get off of work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Awesome thanks. Also just to clarify, the is a possible fix if one signal is still functional? Ie: there are two separate connectors on the steering column? One for each signal?

There is a connector for the wipers and one for the signals. Below is a picture of the connector. The brake lights, turn signals and hazards all come out of the switch on the same circuit. Just one left and one right. The flasher is before the switch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The only flasher not working is the front right. The rear right and both left flashers (front and rear)are still functional. So if I’m reading the diagram correctly, if the connector is unplugged then both, the rear and front right flashers would not be functional...correct?

No, the right front and right rear are on separate circuits. That is my fault.

The right front works off of pin #2 at the connector and the right rear works off of pin #5.

Do the turn signal indicators work on the instrument cluster for left and right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the dashboard yes. But it’s the rapid flash for the right as if the bulb was out. I checked the bulb the the other side (left front) and it functions fine so i ones the problem was deeper.

Ok. Check for power at the right front with the right turn signal turned on. You should have pulsed power on the WHITE/LIGHT BLUE striped wire using the battery negative post for ground. Then, use the BLACK wire in the connector as ground and do the test again. Then, use the BLACK wire for ground and test for power using the battery positive post.

This will test for power, then ground and good ground at the connector in that order.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I’ll try that and get back to you tomorrow sometime. Thanks

I'll be online tomorrow evening after work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Around what time and Which time zone?

I'm in Central Time. I live in Alabama. I'm on line right now.

A. Penland
A. Penland