Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger. It has had a slow leak for

I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger. It has had a slow leak for several years - needs run every few days or battery drains. Now I get no power - not even weak lights despite charging and using jump starter. Any suggestions on what I could check next.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent. I should add that the truck is at my cabin in the mountains and has sat for extended periods since I bought it from my father.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm not much of a mechanic. I've done the charging, tried to check fuses but can't do much more myself. My son-in-law might be better able. Basically looking for ideas before I call AAA to have it towed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thanks

3/12/2018
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

If the battery is completely dead and internally shorted, you will not even be able to jump start it or charge it. If none of the lights come on at all, and nothing happens electrically when the key is turned on, check the battery cables at the battery. Make sure they are clean and tight and NO corrosion. if the battery has drained down several times, the battery will need to be replaced.

I did remove, clean and reapply the cables. when I apply the battery charger, it indicates the battery is fully charged.

Do you have a digital multi meter to check the voltage at the battery to verify that?

No, I don't

A meter to read the actual voltage at the battery will help verify that the battery is bad. It probably will read 12 volts till you turn the key on, and then the voltage will drop completely down to about 3 or 4 volts. You battery is basically used to start the engine. The alternator keeps everything electrical running once the engine is running. That is why batteries have a CCA (Cold Cranking Amp) rating. Yours should be 650 CCA if I remember correctly.

I bought a new jump starter that should have plenty of power. even with that attached I don't get any electrical activity.

The battery cables run from the battery to the starter solenoid and then to the engine bay fuse box. You should have power somewhere if the battery is good and the jump box is connected. If you have no power at all, the only common cause if the battery. and cables.

A. Penland
OK thanks

Your welcome.