Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2016 Ford Escape. It is in (P) park, but on the…

I have a 2016...

I have a 2016 Ford Escape. It is in (P) park, but on the console it shows in (N) neutral. It will not allow me to move the shift lever.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

I have not noticed anything leaking. It is a 2016

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just noticed a few minutes ago as I was trying to go somewhere. The last time I drove it was about 20 hours ago

3/12/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, so the shifter is in park, do the stop lamps work? The shifter will not move out of park or it only moves a little bit? Has the vehicle been flat towed?

If it helps, the car is actually in (N). I can push it.

Ok if the shifter wont come of park, make sure the stop lights work. The shifter has an interlock solenoid so the shifter wont move out of park unless the brake pedal is depressed. It sounds like the shifter cable is broken.Disconnect the shifter cable at the transmission and see if the cable moves and the transmission linkage moves.

I think this is beyond me. I do not understand. I just went out again. When I press the brake pedal, the brake lights do light up. I do not know how to disconnect the shifter cable and the transmission.

It sounds like the shifter cable is broken if the trans is in neutral and shifter is in park.

I assume that is a job for a mechanic. I will need to have it towed?

Yes, it would need to be towed to a dealer if its still under base warranty. You can call your local dealer and double check by giving them the 17 digit vin number and mileage. Otherwise any local shop should be able to replace the shifter cable.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans