Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a P0451 code on my daughters 2008 Ford Escape, what is…

Have a P0451 code on...
Have a P0451 code on my daughters 2008 Ford Escape, what is this and would this also affect her power steering? She said they both happened about the same time
3/12/2018
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

The code P0451 is for the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor and has no effect on the power steering system. The FTP sensor is mounted under the vehicle just above the fuel tank in the rear of the vehicle.

What kind of problem is your daughter having with the power steering?

No power at all, just able to drive it like the old days without power steering.
The guy at autozone said vacuum line
I don’t want the phone call option

No to the vacuum line. The FTP sensor is part of a plastic fuel vapor line under the vehicle. The fuel tank will have to be lowered/removed to replace the FTP sensor and line.

As for the power steering problem. Your daughters 2008 Escape power steering is electrical. There is no fluid, lines or pump. There is an electrical motor at the base of the steering column that provides the electrical power steering assist like the old power steering fluid pump did in the older days.

But I would recommend having the complete vehicle checked for trouble codes in all the modules.

A. Penland