Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 5 P codes. P0011,12,18,21,22 Check engine light came…

I have 5 P...

I have 5 P codes. P0011,12,18,21,22 Check engine light came on yesterday. Read the manual of what happens if left un-attended. I am quite knowledgeable in auto repair but for the life of me I cannot find what the codes mean and what repairs are needed. Hopefully, I can do it myself as I have a garage shop and all but if need be I can get it to the dealer albeit rather gingerly and slow...Can you help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on if you are refering to the check engine...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Ford?

2010 f150 5.4 4X4 XLT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far. I will attempt to fix it myself as I am versatile when it comes to working on vehicles. I was planning on doing a plug swap as I have those items already...i

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The vehicle does run but bogs or misses around 1500 to 2000 rpms

3/11/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

This engine has inherent problems form the time it was introduced into the Ford trucks since 2004 and until they decided the lawsuits are constant problems were enough and discontinued the engine after 2010. It is in the middle of a class action lawsuit for these issues

the only chance to fix all of these issues is to remove the front cover of the engine, pick up all of the broken pieces of timing chain plastic guides, replace the chains, tensioners, vvt actuators vct solenoids and replace the oil.

ill be back on in 20 minutes

ok, im back

are you there?

Sorry I had to attend to another matter. I waited for about 1/2 hour and you hadn't returned. Quick question...Due to my negligence, The age of my spark plugs was longer than recommended for change. Should have been swapped out at 95K miles. I have 113K now on them. Could that be a problem? The reason I ask is when the truck started to respond less. I read the manual and it said that if I was experiencing what was taking place, the affected cylinder would change into a non-firing mode and act as a "Heat Pump" to keep the cylinder and head from overheating. This might be the cause of the various codes referencing the cam timing. I would think that with a cylinder not firing that the drop in performance would be directly related to say only 7 cylinders firing which would definitely cause a loss of performance. I am planning on swapping out the old for the new later this week myself. I have the correct plugs by Motorcraft and the Lisle tool if the porcelain happens to break to complete the plug removal, Your opinion???
It's early here where I am at in Reno. A family member is still sleeping. Can you call me say at 10:30 to 11:00 Pacific Time? hone number is *****

well worth a shot for sure. and I really hope that's all it is, but with that many codes, I have my doubts. Having said that, please spray some PB blaster down the plug hole the night before doing the replacement. I usually end up breaking 4 out of 8

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic
Phone call session started
Again thanks for the expertise and conversation. Feedback has been submitted...Bill

this has been extended up and to the year 2010.

http://gotaclassaction.com/ford-named-in-class-action-lawsuit-over-defects-in-vehicles-equipped-with-the-5-4l-engine/

let me know how it goes

David, I am putting the truck in the shop this coming Monday to let them analyze it and hopefully get it fixed. Highly rated shop and staffed with former Ford Master Mechanics who are familiar with this issue and are set up with an actual Ford Diagnostic system for complete analyzation. I still have your number so if you want to cancel this out go ahead. I will update you after I find out Monday what is ahead for me. Thanks again...Bill

ok, Bill but I can leave it open so I can find out how it goes.

OK, David then leave it open. I will let you know after Monday. Enjoy your weekend...Bill

you too brother