Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have no power at all inside the vehicle with the key on, I…

I have no power...

I have no power at all inside the vehicle with the key on, I disconnected the negative battery terminal no when I try to re-connect the negative battery terminal it sparks like it's shorting across the battery posts

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

No power at all, with a good battery and all fuses good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1999 f150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, can't connect negative battery terminal now. With a multimeter I get 12v from the negative battery terminal to the negative post on the battery is that suppose to be

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at the moment

3/11/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

H​ello my name is***** would do a good visual of the looms and the routing first, make sure nothing is touching the egr tube or the exhaust manifolds or sharp corners grounding out a cable. Then start removing some large fuses first from the under hood fuse panel and see if the problem with shorting can be found this way. You may take a picture of the fuse panel so not to mix any fuses up. How big of a short are you talking? Like a huge spark or a small spark, does the cable get hot?

Huge spark when the terminal is close to the post

Ok, you will need to start disconnecting some fuses or cables to try and pinpoint the direct short to ground. Could be alternator, starter, or large power feed to the fuse panel. Did this happen all of a sudden or has the vehicle been sitting?

It happened all of a sudden, while driving down the road vehicle just died

A cable must have grounded out, or melted into ground source like a manifold. Narrowing down the grounded circuit is next.

I would look at exhaust manifolds, see if you can see anything, then remove alternator wiring and recheck for shorts, keep going until you find the shorted circuit.

Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician