Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have massive battery draw 8.5 A. I have, did replace them to…

Have massive battery draw...

Have massive battery draw 8.5 A

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes I have , did replace them to but problem still exist, also replace alternator as battery lite came on and was charging only 12 .6 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2010 F350 superduty 6.4 l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am , I did check for the draw I have checked milivoltage across all the fuses without removing them some had voltage across like location 26 10 A cluster but went off ate few minutes had 2.8milivoltr across fuse also location 39 20A radio etc had 5.8 milivolts across going for about half hr shuffling CD rom . All this happen after leaving truck sitting for 1.5hr . Started unplugging modules but still have 8.5 jumping to over 10 amps of draw

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s all I have done so far

3/11/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

The way you are doing the draw test I can not convert it over to the Ford test to make sense of what circuit is to blame. Can you do this test https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8kkwgq8tnb924w/draw10.pdf?dl=0 and report back on the results?

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris all of that was done and still have minimum of 8.5 amps of draw “did remove and install one fuse at the time “ but not going below that also. I checked for voltage across back of the fuses without removing them every one of fuses had 0 voltage going across except fuse location 26 inside of vehicle and fuse location 39 also inside of vehicle. This was checked in milivolts. Location 26 had 2.5 to 2.8 milivolts across the fuse , location 39 had 5.2 to 5.8 milivolts across the fuse

When you did the Ford tests. Tell me each fuse number that had to be removed to get the draw down to the correct level.

Sorry did it about a week ago . Never had it down to correct level meaning of that never got it below 8.5 amps of draw . Will it make did if I had put fuse back right after removing it

If all fuses were removed and the draw was still there that means it can only be the things on the battery circuit not fused. The starter, alternator, and fuse box to blame.

Alternator was replaced 5 days ago , issue still on . If I take wires of starter should it go a way ? How can I check fuse box

You will be the first customer I have ever seen do a draw test at the battery and every fuse removed resulted in there still being a draw. Remove the alternator and starter wiring, the only thing left is the fuse box to blame. How to test it, the draw test is the test.

Wow if I was first one then I better take step by step again , met thee is something I am doing wrong . Will tell you about results

Correct, I have never seen the BCM to blame for a draw on the 08-10 Super Duty. However you have an 8.5 amp draw, that is also outrageous.

Yeah I hear you , at the moment it’s at moment it’s at 5.35 amps I wish I had taking a picture earlier when my voltmeter was beeping crazy , as for the reason it was way above 10 amps and. I can find a problem if pointed in right direction as for draw as much as this one it’s wow it’s first one for me to , I did timed how long before by batteries go dead and I mean nothing until they are at 5 volts each and it takes about 3.5 hrs . I do have someelectrical/mechanical back ground as have worked as one while back but decided to take different route yes it has been over 15 years since I stopped but here and there I work on my own vehicles

Keep in touch as needed as you keep testing.

Hi there , alternator disconnected , starter disconnected, all of the maxi fuses are out still have 7.72 A of draw . Do I have to take the cartridge fuse out to or not ?

Every single fuse has to be out to effectively do a draw test. A 5 amp fuse can have a 5 amp draw on it.

Got them all out no change only relays are left in under hood junction and passenger side cab junction

The fuse box has to be the culprit then.

Which one under hood or cab
How can I find out , what are the signs for it?

You will have to disconnect the large red wire from each to isolate which one is to blame. Here is a diagram showing everything getting power from the battery before fuses.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jkz8djubpiledl/10PD.pdf?dl=0

Ok this is what happen so far driver side battery was disconnected as for power supply wire just took one of passengers side no change but when I took 150 A fused link wire that goes to auxiliary heater control module went back to 000
Is that for inside of vehicle?

So if I understand correct when you do step 10 of the draw test sent prior the draw has been confirmed to be on the auxiliary heater control module?

Don quiet understand, this is as for our last conversation is to take power supply wire to find which one of the fuse boxes was culprit “red wire”.All I did is taking that 150A fusible link off and that’s when went to 0 A of draw but if I put that wire back on it’s back to 7.56 to 8.90 A .
Oh ok I get it sorry .
Now one more thing that module is for heater inside of vehicle right?

The AHCM is on top of the HVAC box. https://www.dropbox.com/s/emouuj9ur1kany5/AHCM.pdf?dl=0

With this disabled, all fuses back in place except the 150amp, no more draw, then it confirms the heater is to blame.

Hi after putting all the fuses back I have only .035 A of draw which is acceptable and if I place power supply for heater module it goes up to16.58 a and counting down . I believe this is the problem

I agree with those results.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
I do appreciate your help sir and thank you very much

You are welcome.