Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1999 5.4l ford expedition that will not crank, or…

I have a 1999 5.4l...
I have a 1999 5.4l ford expedition that will not crank, or start.
3/11/2018
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

What have you done so far to attempt to get the Expedition started?

I installed starter, alternator, but will say nothing

When you turn the key to the ON position does the theft turn on for 3 seconds then go out, or does it flash rapidly?

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Daniel, Manager
Phone call session started
it was flesh rapidly had the jumper cable and started. now it will not do anything no lights inside or out

You should try charging the battery or replacing it. Also if the theft light is blinking rapidly the truck will not start.

it's a new battery, i talk to dave on the phone he took me to ask you for electric diagram

I can get you the diagram for the starting system. You likely want to make sure power is getting to the starter on the small wire when the key is in the start position. CLICK HERE for diagram.

I need the battery to alternator and starter
i see the diagram
how do i test it

You need to use a test light and check for power at fuse 21 inside the vehicle. Then make sure power is at the transmission range sensor and is leaving the range sensor to the relay. All these checks with the key in the START position. Essentially you need to trace power flow to the relay then to the starter motor

ok. thank

Your welcome.

I've been outside to check what tester i have a southwire 10030s multimeter and gb digital multimeter gdt-311 is this all i need.

You need it to check volts. Run a jumper to the negative battery cable for the negative lead of meter and then use positive lead to test for voltage at the above mentioned spots using the wiring diagram.

checking off see you when i get back about 1:pm friday thanks.

Ok sounds good.