Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A friend of mine stored her 2002 thunderbird for the winter…

A friend of mine...

A friend of mine stored her 2002 thunderbird for the winter and when she tried to start it the battery was dead. Her boyfriend changed the battery and now the engine turns over but won't start. Is there anything that needs to be reset after the battery change ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

The battery was completely dead so they changed it with a new one

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Thunderbird yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it and have checked all the fuses and they are all fine

3/11/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, behind the left kickpanel below driver side of dash is the fuel inertia(cut off) switch=see attached. There is button at top of it. It likely popped up when jump starting. Push it down, turn key on for 3 seconds and then off and then crank

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Excellent
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That did not resolve the issue. It appears to be an ignition issue. Is there anything on the ignition that needs to be reset ?

Is there a immobilizer/antitheft light on the dash flashing on and off with key in on position?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

HI,

Ok, the immobilizer/antitheft would have been the only thing ignition related that would have needed a reset or reprogramming.

With it not flashing, then it is ok.

With it having been stored for the winter, even if in a storage unit or garage, there is always a good chance of mice/rodent chewing wires and is fairly common.

I would do a check of crank and cam sensor wiring, coil wiring, as well as wiring from the engine compartment fuse box for any signs of chewed wiring

If ok, check for injector pulse at the fuel injectors with noid lights to make sure that injectors are firing.

Check crank and cam sensor wave patterns with scan tool to see if they are sending proper signal as either will cause a no start condition if missing

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I do some more investigation thanks for your input
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager