Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2016 Ford Escape key went through wash and now car says key…

Customer Question
2016 Ford Escape key went...
2016 Ford Escape key went through wash and now car says key not detected and won't start. I am stuck and do not have access to a possible new battery solution
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
3/11/2018
Ford Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you.

Do you have a spare key?

Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 5 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

The key is damaged. They short out internally when water enters the key like running it through the wash, or jumping into a body of water with it in your pocket. You will have to get the key replaced. If you have another key, you will only need to purchase one key. But if you only have one key, you will need to purchase 2 new keys as Ford programing software requires 2 new keys if all keys to vehicle are lost or damaged.