Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford Escape key went through wash. And now when I try to…

Customer Question
Ford Escape key went...

Ford Escape key went through wash. And now when I try to start car it says key not detected. It is not a programmable key fob

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

I'm sure it is nearly dead or messed up after the wash but I am on vacation in middle of nowhere so no place to get a battery

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Escape?

I think 15 or 16

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried to start it that's all

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just a way to get it started

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/11/2018
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Look down in the center console area, if it's a push button start, should have a mechanical overide down in the center console area.

Can you look at the registration in the glove box and tell me if it's a 2015 or 2016?

How many miles are on it roughly?

I will check the year. But it is NOT a push start. Approx 30 k miles. Every time I open the doors with the key the alarms go off and then I can't shut it off because I can't turn on the car

Alright, if it's not a push start, there is a mechanical key blade that goes in an ignition switch just like old cars, Close the doors, and lock and unlock the drivers door a few times and see if that resets the alarm.

lock and unlock the doors with the actually key in the door lock cylinder, not the remote.

Alright, the wash probably damaged the chip in the key. Is i still under factory warranty? 3/36 was factory warranty.

If so, disregard the key through the wash detail and I would place a call to Ford's roadside assistance program. It's possible they may be able to over ride it through the Ford's SYNC system as well.

Call them and give them the VIN and they will tell you whether or not it's under warranty.

I have no worries About replacing it and I have another at home. But I am stranded in a remote area right now and it is a Sunday. I jst need to get car started

1-***-***-**** is Ford's roadside assistance.

I understand, unfortunately, if the transponder is damaged in that key, there is no way it is ever going to work. That system cannot be by-passed as the ECM will not ground the fuel injectors until it see's a programmed key in the slot.

Ok I will call ford

Alright, with push button start they can over ride the anti theft with some SYNC systems, but I don't believe they can with non push start. That is the best advice I can give if the key is tripping the anti theft system. let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need any additional help let us know. Thank you.

How can I shut off alarm if it goes off again
Disconnect the neg. Battery cable. Try locking and unlocking the driver's door a few times and if that doesn't work disconnect the battery cable
Any luck with that?
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician