Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Whereis the vss980 sensor located on the transmission. I…

Customer Question
Whereis the vss980 sensor...

Whereis the vss980 sensor located on the transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

I think it's a I'm Input sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1996 explorer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I can't find where the sensor is at I think its behind the shift cable

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
3/11/2018
Ford Mechanic: Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician replied 5 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello, I am Randall., Sorry for the delay. May I ask what is not working etc to lead you to ask where a VSS sensor is/.?

It's not shifting in fear or reverse right away you have to rev it up to make it catch

This will not be a sensor input , nor output. and, with too many possibles/? I am going to opt out and open the post to the other experts. One should be along soon to help

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 5 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Just like the other tech mentioned above the transmission speed sensors will not affect D and R engagement. Transmission speed sensors are only used for correct timing of upshifts like 1st into 2nd for example. If there are any speed sensors faulty there would be warning lights on and codes stored.

Do you need the diagnostic steps for a delayed engagement concern? I can tell you where all speed sensors are on the transmission still but changing them will not help this concern. In the drivers door jam on the label, I need the single letter or number under TR?

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris