Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How do i test the bcm on my 2012 f250. 2012 f250 6.7l left…

How do i test...

How do i test the bcm on my 2012 f250

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford F250. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

2012 f250 6.7l left rear tail light not working back up light works but no rear turn signal or left brake light

3/11/2018
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Have you checked if you have power at the connector for the stop/turn bulb on the gray/brown wire when stepping on the brake pedal?

let me clear up the issue. The left brake / turn signal light does not work, the back up light works, the front left turn signal works.
My factory installed tow hitch has no power to the left side.
I have checked for power on the connector below the spare tire were it splits in to left and right and I have no power to the left side

Ok. Make sure fuse 14 in the sjb is good and has power on both legs. Really the next thing to do after that is go right to the output on the sjb for the LR brake/turn lamp circuit and see if power is being outputted from the sjb. You could still have a wiring issue from the sjb to that rear connector.

please what is the sjb

Sorry the BCM. Same thing.

fuse 14 is good. how many volts should I have coming out of fuse 14 socket?

Battery voltage.

I'm getting 12v dc from the socket

CLICK HERE for bcm connector for circuit in question. Pin 12 grey/brown wire when turn signal is on or brake. Also sometimes the bcm as internal circuit protection. Sometimes clearing the codes in the bcm or disconnecting the battery for a few minutes can reset the bcm internal protection if that has tripped.

12 volts is fine. make sure that is coming out of bcm on connector above.

I want to understand leave the connector connected and test the wire to make sure I have 12v coming out of while the brake is being pushed?
there were two wires that were gray with a tan stripes I had the brake held and neither wire was giving me 12v
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

The other tech opted out. Did you get all the tests done to isolate where the circuit is bad at?

Not yet
I checked the bcm at fuse 14 and have 12v on both sides. I have checked the 2 wires coming out of the back of the connector on the bcm the gray with the tan stripe no power. I am just trying to make sure, if I need to take it to the shop I can. Or if I can fix it my self.
I just unhooked the battery and left them unhooked for an hour and still no result.
I also have no power on the connector above the spare tire to the left brake/turn light. I have been doing some research and this seems to be a very common issue with the bcm.

Brakes applied at BCM connector 2280D pin 12 gray/brown wire https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bwnq8svi6xkha5/gybn.png?dl=0. If there is no power then you have a faulty BCM. This module requires diagnostic tool for programming during the swap.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician