Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2009 Crown Victoria, No lights besides interior dome light…

Customer Question
2009 Crown Victoria, No...

2009 Crown Victoria, No lights besides interior dome light working, interior dome light flickering on and off. Car won't shift out of park as well as the electronic door locks won't work either. Engine starts and Radio works

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Yes I have. I am able to shift out of park using the manual override on the steering column. But the lack of lights is concerning

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Crown Victoria yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have changed the battery, as well as checked the connections for the LCM. No fuses seem to be broken either.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything else

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/11/2018
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 4 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Thank you!

Generally what you have going on is due to the lighting control module. It controls all interior and exterior lighting. Ford did have a recall or an extended coverage on these modules on some year crown vics and grand marquis.

How would the lighting control module be affecting my door locks though? That's what's been stumping me

The car not shifting out of park can be caused by the lcm since it gets and sends inputs about the brake pedal being depressed.

The door locks are controlled by the drivers door module. I dont think the two are related. You could try to figure out the door locks and see if that leads to the LCM or something different.

Do the locks work from the interior switches? or just not the remotes? etc...?

the locks do not work from the interior switches

First you need to verify fuse 8 under the hood is good and has power. Then check fuses 2 and 9 inside the car. If those are good, then you will need to remove the drivers door panel and verify you have power and grounds at the module. Then once that is verified, the switch inputs can be checked. To you have a test light for checking power?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!