Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just replaced a cracked intake manifold on my 2002 Ford

Just replaced a cracked...

Just replaced a cracked intake manifold on my 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 liter engine. While the manifold was off I replaced the cylinder head temperature sending unit even though the old one was working, as a precaution. Now that I have everything back together and running fine I get the DTC 1289 which indicates a high voltage circuit. Also, the temperature gauge does not move and shows cold even though the engine is up to temperature, the heater works great. Is there a way to test the system without pulling the intake manifold?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Coolant level is normal, no leaking now, did initially have a leak but fixed it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing my Explorer myself. Don't know what to try short of removing the intake manifold again and checking the wiring or replacing? the new cylinder head. temperature sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

3/11/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your information and get right with you. If you have you VIN number please send it to me.

You would like you know how to test your cylinder head temperature sensor without removing the intake. Is this correct?

Do you have a scan tool that can view live data or a multimeter?

I have a code reader and a multimeter. My VIN is 1FMDU75W42ZC35040
Mostly I would like to know if there is anything else I should be checking that would throw DTC 1289 as my cylinder head temperature sensor is new.
Did I miss a response, have not heard from you for over 2 hours?

Sorry for the delay, I was away from my computer.

The P1289 typically means there is an open circuit. There should be a jumper harness between the sensor and the left valve cover (see attached picture). Disconnect the jumper connector and read resistance across the two pins. Tell me what reading you get.

After disconnecting the jumper harness, the lead going to the sensor and the lead going into the harness the reading is 1 between their respective pins.

You need to measure the two pins in the section of harness going under the intake to measure the resistance across the sensor.

That reading is 1.

I'm not sure which meter you have. I'm assuming with your leads not touching it reads OL. If that's correct and you are reading 1.0 Ohm that's a bad reading. Let's make sure something isn't shorted to ground by putting one lead on one of those pins and the other on battery ground. That reading should be open.

On my multimeter when I have the dial set to ohms and the leads do not touch each other the reading is 1. The reading from each of the pins to the negative terminal of the battery is 1.

What do you get when you touch your leads together?

Zero

Okay, that means that 1. is an open circuit. Either the sensor is defective, the jumper harness has a broken wire, or the sensor isn't completely plugged in.

Ok, I guess that means I will have to remove the intake manifold to check the wiring and sensor?

Yes, unfortunately you'll need to remove the manifold to access the sensor and jumper harness.

Thank you, ***** ***** repeat repairs!!

I understand that. If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician
Was able to see the cylinder head temperature sending unit and its connector after removing the alternator. Pushed the connector onto the sending unit to see if it was fully connected and found out it wasn't. After fully connecting the sending unit everything works. Did not have to remove the intake manifold, yay!!
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

good find

Roy