Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

On a 2006 F150 5.4L - How do you check or validate an open…

On a 2006 F150...

On a 2006 F150 5.4L - How do you check or validate an open loop (Bank 1 or both) Fuel System A status

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

I have a check engine light on -- P0345 code -- I have already changed those out and reset the CMP...Light stays off. Drive 10 miles...light still off. park and shut off the truck. Restart the truck and the check engine light is back on -- throw the reader back on and it gives the same P0345 code

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The gas cap seal is fine. I replaced the two Camshaft Position sensor curcuits

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When I did the "Freeze Frame" on the Fuel System A Status -- comment "open loop (Bank 1 or both)"

3/10/2018
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

okay

ok, this code is an electrical issue, not a component issue.

do you have a scan tool that can read the voltages at the cam sensor?? you need to be sure you have reference voltage, ground and signal voltage at the connector.

Roy

P0345

ItemDescription

Symptom/DTCP0345

Descriptor

Probable Causes

• Camshaft Position (CMP) Circuit Open
  • Camshaft Position (CMP) Circuit Shorted to Ground
  • Camshaft Position (CMP) Circuit Shorted to Power
  • Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Damaged
  • Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Shielding Damaged
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Damaged
  • Signal Return Circuit Open
I can go reconnect the OBD-II tool and see if it reads the voltages at the cam sensor

if it is a code reader, most likely it will not but check it anyway

Roy

do you want me to go do that
I will be back in a few minutes...

sure give it a try

When I did the Freeze Frame on the Reader -- it does not provide any information to voltages at the cam sensor

do you have a volt meter to verify these voltages??

Sorry to keep you waiting -- I had to locate my OHM meter -- got it
What do I do 1st?
Roy -- are you there?
Helloooo -- says you are on line

hello I am here sorry, getting dinner for kids

remove the connector from the cam sensor and check for voltage, not ohms on the connector.

Roy

That I need someone to crank the engine why I'm testing that
How do I check for the voltage

no, key on, engine off. only you are needed

You need to set your voltmeter to dc volts. put the black lead on a good ground and the red lead into 1 pin at a time. tell me the voltage on each pin

Roy

From the wiring harness correct not the sensor
This is a 2-wire I'm getting nothing on both sides of the connectors

correct, on the harness

0 Nothing then on both sensors

checking

diagram attached

you will need to go to the pcm pins 44 and 46 listed in the diagram and do ohm check from there to both sensors. 44 goes to one sensor and 46 to the other.

looking for open circuit as the sensors need voltage to operate.

Roy

In the schematic I don't see it 46 Penn I do see a 45 and I don't see in the schematic you sent the actual numbers on the PCM computer box

sorry, 44 and 45 senior moment

yes they are marked. match the color of the wires

Roy

Do I check the wire from this?

set your meter to the ohm scale

put one lead at the sensor wire and the other lead to the wire at the connector at the pcm. tell me the reading. you are checking the continuity of the wire to see if it is broken

Roy

let me get a pin out diagram

yes it could

that would not explain no voltage

Okay Roy sounds going down is getting cold tomorrow is another day thanks for all your help

your welcome

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Will do...thanks again

thank you