Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 Mercury Sable. Have very little smoke out of tail

1999 Mercury Sable . Have...
1999 Mercury Sable . Have very little smoke out of tail pipe... almost can’t see it , get a little more when you rev it . Passes smog with great numbers! But now in California I the inspector can see any smoke out of the tail pipe it is a failed smog . Am using 10 -30 oil . Should I change to straight 30, and add ??? To oil? Can always change back once it passes visual test for no smoke.
3/10/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Have you tried any "no smoke" in it yet?

Ok. Should I go to the thicker oil to the straight 30?

I would at least until you can get it inspected. That no smoke usually does work. unless it's really bad or has blown headgasket.

leave it a quart low too.

until after inspection.

No it’s not bad at all, I am Surprised Tech failed. It’s very little smoke, and I mean very little

yea, I understand. maybe take it to another shop as well. I think it will pass after that.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Quart low Will do. Makes sense.

Absolutely, Let us know if you have any further questions Lester. Thank you!