Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 ford escape. This morning it won't go into…

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 ford escape. This morning it won't go into reverse? And seems to be struggling (higher revs than normal) to go forward. Any advise is appreciated....

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet...checked the tranmission oil. Level is good, but the oil seems darker and smells a bit.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

On the transmission....a long time, unsure?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This is my daughter's vehicle and she drove home yesterday (300km) with no problems and no previous indication of a problem.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

What is the approximate mileage on the vehicle? thank you.

215000km
I've never used justanswer...it appears the original $5 was a ploy to get me to spend another $35...can you give me a hint of what you presume is the problem with my escape, before I spend more on justanswer?

The 5$ deposit is to me make sure your credit card is OK. The question price I have no control over but usually 25-35.

I just had one of these in the shop. Does it pull in manual L gear better than it does in the O/D position?

I never tried...I put it up on stands, and in forward O/D it starts rotating the wheels right away, but still no reverse.

Alright, it will do that with no weight on the drive wheels, Was the check engine light on or did you ever see it after this problem occurred?

No engine light, but the ABS light is on. This is due to the rear brakes...I am working on them this morning (the reason my daughter brought the car home in the first place). Could this be in relation to the ABS?

I don't think so. If the check engine light was on, it's possible, (but not likely) that the transmission range sensor could have a fault, which on this transmission can cause some engagement problems or slippage. But if there are no trans. codes stored. (verified with a scan tool). Then I believe there is internal damage in the transmission and the unit will either have to be replaced or rebuilt to fix it unfortunately. If it starts in P and N then the range sensor is likely fine and adjusted correctly. Also if the indicator lines up on the instrument cluster (the digital display) lines up with P and N when those gears are selected, then I feel sure the linkage is adjusted properly. you can try to service it and if that doesn't help. I may even add a small amount of brake fluid to the unit to try and soften up a hard seal, sometimes that actually works if you put 4 ounces of brake fluid in it. But not always. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I do believe there is a problem internally with that unit and it's been my experience that it will have to be replaced or rebuilt to fix a Reverse engagement problem.

Ok thanks...I have done some further searches and that seems to be the most frequent answer.

Alright, absolutely, Thank you and let us know if you have any further questions.

We usually see this around the southeast US get 150K-175K on them before giving problems, but I see your in Canada, and I imagine with icier conditions it may get rougher service than here. Which wouldn't surprise me that it only got 135K miles on it or so before it gave problems.

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician