Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Ford Transit T280, 2011, fwd mk7. I am having

Hi there, I have...

Hi there, I have a Ford Transit T280, 2011, fwd mk7. I am having trouble with the gears. It is difficult to select 1-st and 3-rd gear. Some time I have to go in to 2-nd gear before getting in to 1-st. 3-rd gear - some time it's OK, some time - difficult to select it. There is no problem to select 2-nd, 4-th, 5-th gear...

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Transit yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took gearshift mechanism out... it looks fine, all parts moves easy.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thank you

3/10/2018
Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin are gears only stiff coming down gears or also going up ? Are they smooth without van running?

Hi, only 1-st and 3-rd gears are sometime stiff(not every time). I am not sure, if they are smooth without van running, I think it ia the same... Thanks. Igor.

Ok if they are the same without it running i would suspect this is a possible issue within the transmission .the selector unit on the top of gearbox are common to seize up but if you checked this it only leaves an internal issue .it may be worth replacing the gear oil if you havent already done so to see if this improves the situation

Gear oil has been replaced, could it be the cables?

Its unlikely as if the cables were at fault it would occur all the time it wouldnt come and go

OK, thank you very much for your help. Igor.

No problem please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic