Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1985 f-150 inline 6, I just replaced the freeze plugs and…

My 1985 f-150 inline...

My 1985 f-150 inline 6 , I just replaced the freeze plugs and the clutch, now that it is all back together, it grinds going into gear, I have replaced the lines and bled them numorous times still grinding

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

The clutch is has less than 100 miles on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and I have replaced the line from the master cylinder and bled the lines

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am 18 and not father in the picture, just having to figure it out on my own, school and work on my truck

3/10/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Sounds like you just need to bleed the master and slave, have you done this yet?

several times each

have you checked your slave rod travel for maximum push length while someone presses the pedal

sir
i cant get the master cylinder to bleed for me

if your getting maximum travel length on your slave rod there is something not installed correctly with the clutch or its the wrong part

how do you tell the maxiumn travel??

you move the fork manually and have someone shift, if things get smooth you know its a slave or master if not you know you have part or install issue

what is the best way to bleed the master ??

there are 2 way one is have someone pump it up, until there is good pressure then while pedal is down you crack bleeder and release fluid watch for bubble, 2nd person foot is still down until you close bleeder then they release and repeat until no air is present, my fav way is to run a clear hose from the bleeder to the master reservoir and pump until there are no bubbles, that way you can really watch whats going on and know you have it bleed correctly, you still could have a bad master or slave though if you dont have enough travel

thank you ....i will go try all of your suggestions and hope it all comes together, the master is brand new
..Thank you for your help

your very welcome !

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
hey Shawn, my clutch is not engaging but very little

what did you replace when you did the clutch? also do you have the part numbers for that

the entire clutch ..07-016R part # Vahnhos Brand Replaced pilot bering ,clutch.pressure plate,throw out bering,slave cylinder,Master clinder,and the hose

how did the flywheel look? did you have it turned?

sorry about late response, having some internet problems