Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 SATURN VUE 2.2L P0340 no start

2006 SATURN VUE 2.2L P0340 no start
3/10/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Good Morning,

This ignition system does not use a conventional camshaft position (CMP) sensor that detects valve train position. The ignition control module (ICM) detects when #1 or #3 cylinder has fired on its compression stroke using sensing circuitry integrated within each coil. The sensing circuit detects the polarity and the strength of the secondary voltage output, the higher output is always at the event cylinder. The ICM sends a CMP signal to the engine control module (ECM) based on the voltage difference between the event and waste cylinder firing energy. This system is called compression sense ignition. By monitoring the CMP and crankshaft position (CKP) signals, the ECM can accurately time the operation of the fuel injectors. If the ECM receives an intermittent CMP signal from the ICM, the CMP Resync Counter on the scan tool will increment. When the ECM cannot use the information from the CMP signal, DTC P0340 will set. If you pull the cover up and crank the engine over are you getting spark from the coils?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the coil is firng

Okay,if you are sure you have good spark to all cylinders then the next steps would be to check for injector pulse as well as compression and proper fuel pressure if you are dealing with a no start. Let check these and see if we can determine which you are lacking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
noid light flashed, spark tester flashed, so I changed out the spark plugs and changed the oil because it smelled like gas .It started up and was shaky for a min then smooth out . Its running good but now i get P1133, P0171, p1171, p0135

You have to HO2S code and two lean codes. Before you go anything else how about you take is out for a good read test and clean it up from the over rich condition and see if these codes return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok after the second 13.7 mile blow out p0171. p1171 return

Okay these are lean codes and usually set due to a vacuum leak. Have you checked around to be sure there are no loose vacuum lines?

One other thing you may want to do is give the MAF sensor a good cleaning.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is not one

Okay, try giveing the MAF sensor a good cleaning and see if these codes will clear.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
where is the mass located on this one all i see is an air intake sensor

Okay your right, this engine uses a MAP sensor and no MAF. have you checked it to be sure its plugged in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
where is the map im blind today

It mounts on the intake manifold. See the link below. Its marked 711.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjz0cn3z1ny5a1v/MAP%20Mar%2010.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
one more thing as soon as i start it this lil car with a wrench in side pops up and the fan kicks on high but the temp is cool??

The light sounds like your wrench light and that should be setting a fault code. It may be due to the lean codes your getting. Are there any other fault codes setting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok if i let it idle for 10 min after i clear the codes p0171, p0300 and it will start black sooting a lil out the tail pipe and then clears up for a couple seconds then start back

Black soot means it over fueling. The common cause for the single code P0171 on the 2.2 is usually a failing HO2S, are you able to see the HO2S switching on your scan tool?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i think we got it changed 02 sensor and it back to normal Thanks Ron!!!!

That would do it and explain the over fueling. Gald you got it resolved and thank you as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician