Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

No fuel to engine. Will not start. 1996 460 in a Pace Arrow…

No fuel to engine. ...

No fuel to engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1996 460 in a Pace Arrow RV

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've started the engine with starting fluid in the intake

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When the ignition is turned on the gas gauge goes to full then back slightly

3/9/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Is this on a E350 chasis? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's in a 34 foot RV Chasis
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fuel pump was replaced about 2 years ago but didn't run long before the fuel gauge went crazy and engine would no longer start. I replaced it myself. The fuse box matches the diagram

Alright, If the fuse box matches, pull the relay that says fuel pump relay, and we will need to check power in the relay socket, you should have 2 pins HOT with the key on in the relay socket.

Should still be a good pump then. You probably don't hear it running when you cycle the key do you? it should come on for 2-3 seconds when you turn the key ON. it's probably hard to here in that RV though, might have to get under it to hear it buzz and get somebody to cycle the key on if possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im going out to the rv

OK, sounds good. need a volt meter or test light to check power in those relay socket pins if you have one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got a volt meter

Alright, pull the fuel pump relay, turn the key on, and let me know if two of the pins down in the relay socket are hot .

Alright, is that cover labelled? if so do you see where the fuel pump relay is?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got, im pulling the relay

Alright, must be an additional relay in the box, because it's not even matching the 96 owners manual.

Make sure all your fuses are good as well, with the key on, check both sides of the fuse with your red lead touching the top tabs on the fuse on both sides and your black lead on good clean ground or neg. battery terminal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Battery is dead.

In the RV or in the volt meter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In the rv

Alright, if you can charge it or get that fixed, we can continue on the fuel pump path. But I believe it's either going to be the fuel pump relay, or the PCM relay which is in the same fuse box. If it's not the relay, it could be the inertia switch or fuel pump safety switch. I believe it's going to be one of those barring any odd wiring problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I'll work on getting the battery charged, may take a bit.

Alright, sounds good. Let me know what happens. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician