Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

There's a flapping noise coming from my dashboard behind the…

There's a flapping noise coming...
There's a flapping noise coming from my dashboard behind the heat/ac controls in my 2002 Ford Explorer.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question and get right with you.

When you turn the temperature knob from hot to cold and back does the noise stop?

It used to, but now it won't stop.

The noise is being caused by the temperature blend door actuator. This is a common problem. The gears in the motor that move the temperature door strip out and it causes the noise. To repair the noise you will need to have the actuator replaced.

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

I'm a "do-it-yourselfer", can you give me any instructions on how to?

Absolutely. Give me a moment to type up instructions.

You will need to remove the center console and the trim around the radio. After that, on the driver's side you will see a black air duct that goes from below the radio to the floor. That duct needs to be removed. The you will be able to access the actuator. I found a video that shows detailed instructions on how to replace the actuator. If you have any questions after the video let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFT9SU3ZMBY

I'm at work right now. I'll look at the video later. Probably do the work this weekend. Thanks, ***** ***** have any more questions, I'll jump right back on here.

Sounds good. If you message me I'll be notified and get with you ASAP.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician