Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cracked intake. took it to a shop which replaced gasket now…

Customer Question
Cracked intake. took it...

Cracked intake. took it to a shop which replaced gasket now the coolant is leaking from the cracked intake. They are claiming its a common problem but I'm having a hard time believing that replacing the gasket would make the intake crack. 2009 f150 4.6

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

Not sure how old hoses are

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/9/2018
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

It is a common problem, but not from installing new gaskets. Sounds like they misdiagnosed the leak when they first inspected it.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

The leak is much worse after the repair. There was a little bit on the spark plug before and has been that way for a while. Since the repair it has been overheating and has lost a lot of coolant. Do you think this would be a missed crack initially or was cracked during repair?

The only way they could of cracked it during installation is if was extremely warped, which would of been very apparent during removal. As they removed the bolts the intake would have physically been moving as the torque was released.

I have never seen one crack during install and have never even seen one warp. Just cracks in the water jacket from failed component. I firmly think they just missed the crack initially, and now that they disturbed it, it is worse.

Did you need any further assistance? The question is showing "waiting for customer response/rating" Let me know and I will respond or have the question closed out.
Thanks,
Kenny

OK then, I will have the question closed out.

Hopefully I was of some assistance.

Kenny