Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1991 FORD F350 7.3 NO START COLD OR AFTER SITTING HAVE POWER…

1991 FORD F350 7.3 NO...
1991 FORD F350 7.3 NO START COLD OR AFTER SITTING HAVE POWER TO GLOW PLUGS FUEL SHUT OFF SWITCH
REPLACED GLOW PLUG CONTROLLER
3/10/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** you have power to the glow plugs, the first thing I would do is get it running, then depress the shrader valve on top of the fuel filter housing slightly, then see if there is any air at all, if there is no air and the pressure is 3-7 psi, then we replace the fuel injection pump as these pumps will bleed down overnight or after a soak and they will be hard to start. You can also send the injection pump out to be rebuilt. There are fewer and fewer of these places since most diesel have went to electronic fuel injection. Any more questions just ask, thanks Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Replaced injector pump and fuel pump already. I know it’s not recommended but with a quick spray of starting fluid it fires right up with out it, it just cranks. Is it possible that the glow plugs maybe no good?

Oh I must have misread, I thought the glow plugs had been checked, most definitely it won't start without glow plugs, these older trucks were known for burning out the glow plugs. I use a 12 test light, clip the ground lead of the test light to the positive cable, then remove the glow plug wiring and touch the test light to the top electrical portion of the glow plug and the light should light, if not, they are bad and need to be replaced. On these older glow plug relays, having 1 glow plug burnt out greatly affect the glow plug on time, it shuts off too soon with just one plug burnt out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok will check it Monday and get back with you

T​hank for your business!!, If you have more questions just ask, when you are finished, all I ask is rate my service today as this is how I am paid for my time, thanks Scott

Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician