Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Shut my engine off in car wash and wouldn't start back up.

Customer Question
Shut my engine off...

Shut my engine off in car wash and wouldn't start back up. Acted like battery was low.6.0 power stroke

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

Replaced both batteries

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2007 Ford super duty

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Just replace batteries

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Acts like it's dragging

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/9/2018
Ford Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Did you pressure wash the engine bay? I know it's a little late but you should never ever shut off your vehicle when you're in the car wash because what happens is you get moisture in the electrical connectors and then the vehicle will fail to start until it's dry.So now you need to get a heat gun or a fan, or a heater with a fan, and heat up the engine bay until you can dry out all the connectors enough for it to fire up.If your truck is a stick shift you might try dragging it to start it with another truck and then I would recommend that you leave it running for a long period of time.If you have the mechanical aptitude you might try disconnecting some of the electrical connectors in the engine bay and drying them out with a heat gun or blow dryer before putting Dielectric grease on them and putting them back together.Bot***** *****ne is there's moisture in there somewhere and it's throwing off sensor readings or causing a voltage drop.If I'm answer your questions your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name as it's the only way I am compensated for my time.You will still be able to ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
Didn't wash engine bay
Did the car wash have an underbody wash was it like an automatic car wash?
No undercarriage wash
Outstanding okay so let's start from scratch here, it looks like you say you replace the batteries? You need to get a voltmeter and check and see how many volts are making it to the large terminal on the starter.Then you need to check and see how many volts are making it to the wire on the small terminal on the starter as somebody tries to crank it.Also check battery voltage with thenvoltmeter.