Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Its been running fine for the past month or so, ive taken it…

Its been running fine...

Its been running fine for the past month or so, ive taken it driving from Canyon Lake to College Station and ran smoothly. Yesterday out of nowhere, the check engine light came on and was flashing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Blink

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Station?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet. Everything Ive looked at tells me its a misfire and to not drive unless I absolutely have to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

2003 Ford Taurus se 4 door. Thats about it

3/9/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its been running fine up till now. Its not shaking drastically or anything like that, just the engine light blinking and a slight shaking.

Thanks for holding!
It is true that the blinking check engine light is the sign of "Random Cylinder Misfire". This means that one or more of the cylinders is not working to it's full capacity. There are a few possible causes for this. This can be worn spark plugs, a faulty ignition coil, a faulty or clogged fuel injector, low cylinder compression, etc. First place to start here is with the spark plugs. Inspect the plugs looking for any cracks in the body and/or a worn diode. If there are any doubts, replace all the plugs. If the plugs check ok, then the ignition coil will need to be checked to make sure it's sending good strong spark. If the coil checks ok, then the injectors will need to be tested, an intake air leak test done and ultimately, cylinder compression test. More commonly here, will be worn spark plugs or a faulty coil. In the meantime, it is best not to drive the vehicle very far or very long, as a cylinder misfire, no matter what the cause, will quickly damage other parts and sensors like the oxygen sensor and the catalytic converter. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -