Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have a coolant leak. It is leaking at the muffler and out…

We have a coolant...

We have a coolant leak. It is leaking at the muffler and out the tail pipe. Trying to trouble shot this problem

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

The hoses are older at least 5 years, and what do you mean test the coolant mix

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2008 Ford F150 pickup

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

We haven't done anything yet, trying to figure where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think, just that we had a supposed mechanic look at the truck a week ago, at that time we had a light mist coming from the exhaust, when he left we had a lot of vapor mist coming from the exhaust and a pretty substantial leak at the muffler and tail pipe.

3/9/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sir

Are you sure its actual coolant coming from the muffler and the tailpipe?

What size engine?

Is the engine overheating?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am almost positive its water, 4.6 V8 , and no it is not running hot
It over heated once, but as taken care of with just a few minutes of getting hot,

Okay, when you say water are you seeing any signs of coolant in the water or it it pure water?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there's a film to it,

If the engine is not overheating and you are not losing any coolant then you do not have a problem. Its normal for the exhaust to have some water in it due to condensation from the hot exhaust air coming through the cold pipe. They put a drain hole in the muffler for this exact reason. If you actually had a blown head gasket you would have engine coolant coming from the muffler as well as the exhaust.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
would this be easier if you spoke to my husband, he's right there with the vehicle and I am at work. I can give you his number

A phone call is an additional charge and I really don't think you need to spend the money on a call. If you are not losing coolant and the engine is not overheating then What your seeing is normal condensation and you do not have a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it seems like a lot of fluid though, I am not talking about a few drops, this is like a faucet left on low to avoid freezing

It can be a lot if the truck is started in cold weather. The colder it is outside the more water you are going to get out the exhaust. If you actually had a coolant leak coming from the exhaust you would be overheating and losing coolant.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank very much sir, I appreciate you help

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician