Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have a coolant leak. It is leaking at the muffler and out…

We have a coolant...

We have a coolant leak. It is leaking at the muffler and out the tail pipe. Trying to trouble shot this problem

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

The hoses are older at least 5 years, and what do you mean test the coolant mix

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2008 Ford F150 pickup

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

We haven't done anything yet, trying to figure where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think, just that we had a supposed mechanic look at the truck a week ago, at that time we had a light mist coming from the exhaust, when he left we had a lot of vapor mist coming from the exhaust and a pretty substantial leak at the muffler and tail pipe.

3/9/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Sir

Are you sure its actual coolant coming from the muffler and the tailpipe?

What size engine?

Is the engine overheating?

I am almost positive its water, 4.6 V8 , and no it is not running hot
It over heated once, but as taken care of with just a few minutes of getting hot,

Okay, when you say water are you seeing any signs of coolant in the water or it it pure water?

there's a film to it,

If the engine is not overheating and you are not losing any coolant then you do not have a problem. Its normal for the exhaust to have some water in it due to condensation from the hot exhaust air coming through the cold pipe. They put a drain hole in the muffler for this exact reason. If you actually had a blown head gasket you would have engine coolant coming from the muffler as well as the exhaust.

would this be easier if you spoke to my husband, he's right there with the vehicle and I am at work. I can give you his number

A phone call is an additional charge and I really don't think you need to spend the money on a call. If you are not losing coolant and the engine is not overheating then What your seeing is normal condensation and you do not have a problem.

it seems like a lot of fluid though, I am not talking about a few drops, this is like a faucet left on low to avoid freezing

It can be a lot if the truck is started in cold weather. The colder it is outside the more water you are going to get out the exhaust. If you actually had a coolant leak coming from the exhaust you would be overheating and losing coolant.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ok thank very much sir, I appreciate you help

Your very welcome and thank you as well.