Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Starter diode keeps melting. Nothing now. I use to get 1…

Starter diode keeps melting ...

Starter diode keeps melting

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

Nothing now. I use to get 1 click

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2008 Ford f150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

At mechanic now whose stumped

3/9/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The common cause for the diode to melt is usually caused by a ground in the circuit. have your mechanic check the Dark Blue/ Orange wire running between the start diode in the auxiliary relay box and the Digital Transmission Range sensor to be grounded in the harness. This would include checking the circuit running back to pin 43 of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) C175b connector and isolating the circuit away from the component(s) of the audio/video/navigation system components.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this could be the reason why they just fixed and it's did it again within a few days?

Yes its very likely if the circuit is shorted to ground it's going to keep blowing the diode. Need to have him check the circuit for a short to ground.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this something that I could dip myself

That is likely if you have some experience with electrical work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't but I can watch YouTube....after paying almost $300...Ford is wanting to charge $130 for another dx

Well, unfortunately, I do not have a Vidio for this repair.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician