Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Intermittent engine cranks no start. 96 f250 5.8l gas. So…

Intermittent engine cranks no...

Intermittent engine cranks no start

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

96 f250 5.8l gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far replaced the fuel pressure regulator, no change, today I replace the ignition control module located on drivers side inner fender, worked perfect, drove to a friends house about 3 blocks away turned it off . about two hours later went out to drive home and it started sluggish and died backing out of his driveway. wont start again

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes it has a state issued VIN (Missouri) so I cant use VIN as a reference

3/9/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, when it cranks and wont start, do you have fuel pressure and spark? Have you tested for diagnostic trouble codes? When it cranks and wont start, when you cycle the key to on, does the check engine light turn on when you turn the key to on, you hear the fuel pump prime a few seconds? Then when you crank it over does the check engine light go out when cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
have not checked for spark, if I turn key on engine off fuel pumps on either tank will prime and shut off. If i press down on the pin in the shrader valve on the fuel rail it just dribbles out. the check engine light comes on and goes out while cranking

Ok, there should be a good blast of fuel pressure, 30 psi at the rail. If it does it on bth tanks, it could be an issue with both fuel pumps or a blockage in the fuel system such as the fuel filter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The truck is not at my home right now but will replace the filter in the morning. should I also try using starting fluid to test for spark?

Pull off a spark plug wire and stick a spark plug in it and crank it over with it laying on the engine, should have a good blue spark. When you remove the fuel filter, you should be able to blow through it easy like the new one. If it is plugged you will know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok Ill try that. I was thinking that was the issue because sometimes if I would let it rest for a while it would start just fine. Thank you for your help . this has eased my mind enough I might be able to get some sleep tonight.

No problem, you can also leave the fuel filter line disconnected and cycle the key and catch the fuel, the fuel pumps should give a good blast a few seconds when the key is cycled to on. If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help ion this issue. Ir was the fuel line filter, 2,5 hours to remove it and 2,5 seconds to install the new one. Someone needs to shoot the guy who invented that Ford quick disconnect (nor so quick).
I hear ya! But I'm glad you got it fixed cheap! Thank you for the update!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hate to be the bringer of bad news. (something my dad used to tell me I do so well) Its doing the same thing again only this time when I push down on the schrader valve gas hits the hood. I am assuming Im getting fuel. It is completely intermittent with no pattern at all. Sometimes it will die if I depress the gas pedal to gun the engine. Sometimes it will start right back up, other times I may need to let it rest an hour or two. Im at a complete loss.
When it doesn't start you need to see what is missing. You said you have fuel pressure regulator so it's a question of if it has a good blue spark or injector pulse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replaced the ignition comtrol module early on when this started. Ill check for soark the next time it fails. Its been working good today.

very good, if the whole ignition is new and you have no spark, but have an rpm signal, it could be a bad pcm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesnt have any spark.

Ok, check to see if the check engine light goes out when cranking, it should come on when the key is turned on and go out when cranking if the pcm is getting an rpm signal from the distributor. Check for codes, if you dont have a scan tool, use this procedure to count the check engine light to check for codes. If the pcm is getting an rpm signal it should fire the coil.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The check engine light is not going out while the engine is cranking. Have not checked for codes yet using that procedure. I can do that tomorrow when i can get help.

Very good, might be a problem with the pickup coil in the distributor sending the rpm signal or wiring in between the distributor, ignition module and pcm to the coil. let me know what you find and we will go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im getting one code... 722
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im sorry make that two codes 72 and 21. But those codes aren't making any sense at all to me.
Hmm. Those codes don't make sense. This does have the eec I'm diagnostic connector, or does it have the 16 pin dlc under the glove box?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has the OBD 1 diagnostic system. Connector under the hood, and after getting those codes the stupid thing started right up. I let it idle for about 30 minutes to bring everything up to temperature and re checked the codes. still 72 and 21.
21 is an ect engine coolant and 72 is a map sensor 2 digit code for 1993 model. 96 should be a 3 digit trouble code
Give me a few hours to be done with work and I'll give you info for testing no spark
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was told that the 96 f250 4x4 kept the old obd1 system and they didnt go to the newer system until late 1997. I have access to a new obd2 scanner but no place to hook it up on this truck.
that's correct. Give me a little bit and I'll give you more information

Ok attached is pinpoint test A for no spark. This will help determine whats wrong with the ignition system.

e2353598-8990-4950-97aa-...gife235359...gif2ff87755-1e40-42df-8d3d-...gif2ff8775...giff5f256a5-dae0-41ee-b644-...giff5f256a...gif024ea81a-33f4-4913-8368-...gif024ea81...gifc0903896-45aa-401d-87b3-...gifc090389...gif5128ab6d-a82c-4bff-a33e-...gif5128ab6...gif31114e00-65d3-461a-97fe-...gif31114e0...gif918b7f77-a788-42d9-afee-...gif918b7f7...gif
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where do i get a diagnostc harness and breakout box to make these tests? Is this something i can jury rig? I am an electronics technician with over 30 years experience. Would you by chance have a schematic of these items.

These tools are not easily found, they are dealer tools. The idea of the test is to test the circuit from one end to the other. here is a schematic of the ignition circuit.

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans