Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Are you really a mechanic? 2006. 2006 Ford Escape - vehicle…

Hello, are you really...

Hello, are you really a mechanic?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Are you a bot?

Mechanic's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the mechanic more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

2006 Ford Escape - vehicle exhibits a clacking noise, from rear of vehicle, only at 20mph-40mph. The noise also is accompanied by a loss in

3/9/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, what type of noise? Is it*****

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4WD. I guess its the intelligent AWD system. No option to switch.
The noise is also accompanied by a slight jerking as (whatever is at fault) it tries to correct itself.

The noise is from the rear when, part of your original response got cut off. Do you see any fluid leaks from the rear?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no leaks. checked the oil in differential, it was black. added new oil (without additive), drove it - same thing. opened differential and looked inside: No shavings. not missing teeth. The noise is a clunking & rattling - as if something is trying to go into gear and gain traction, but loosing it - repeatedly until 40mph - then it stops.

The most common issue is the power take off unit which is what bolts up to the transmission, the driveshaft may be resonating the noise to the rear. Inspect the pto and the fluid in it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1) The PTO ... (i.e. transfer case?) problem seems to get worse after car warms up. Which would indicate heated oil - PTO..? or Rear Diff.?2) I did notice a darker area to the unit that bolts onto the rear diff. Between the drive shaft and diff. but it may have been old Oil - it didn't seem like it was allot.3) While inspecting rear Diff - I noticed that the rear axles moved in/out about 1/4 inch. Rear passenger side (likely missing a stop ring) could touch the center of the pinion shaft, but no visible damage to pinion shaft.

Yes also known as the transfer case. There will be some play in the halfshafts going into the differential. The carrier bearings may be galled in the rear differential, but you wont know unless you disassemble it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
removed the fluid from PTO and it seemed ...ok.. what/how would you suggest to do a proper inspection on the PTO? Remove the cover? (which I need to remove the passenger axle)
Aslo - Could a bad shaft carrier bearing be the cause? it is sitting rather low / not centered..

This type of concern needs to be diagnosed off the ground, preferably on a lift or on jack stands where the vehicle can be operated to monitor the source of the noise. Or use a set of chassis ears that can be attached to different spots on the vehicle and isolate the origin of the noise. There is no real servicing of the pto, we replace them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the car on lift. Cover is off on Differential. Would a carrier bearing cause the issue (exactly) between 20-40mph?
could it be something withe the inteligent 4wd? Can I Isolate the 4x4 by disconnecting/remooving drive shaft?

You can remove the driveshaft and see if it goes away yes. The carrier bearing should do it all the time if the bearing is bad, it wouldnt stop or drive out of it. Inspect the driveshaft mounting and support bearing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1- Is the drive shaft support bearing the same as "drive shaft carrier bearing"
2- On the Escape the intelligent 4wd kicks in at 22mph (or as necessary as per design) - I am trying to isolate the issue by starting here, and checking system. Is it possible that below 22mph vehicle is driving only 2WD?
3- In trying to isolate the transmission, I drive it in D2 - same thing. Is this meaningless -or- can we deduce that it is not a transmission generated issue?

Yes, when im talking about carrier bearing, im talking about the side bearing in the differential that holds the carrier housing in place. The center bearing is the center support bearing in the middle of the length of the driveshaft.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is it this:https://www.autozone.com/powertrain/differential-carrier-bearing/ford/escape/2006

That is the internal carrier side bearing thats under the bearing caps on both sides of the rear differential .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can i get back to you tomorrow?

Yes, just respond back to this question. Hardest to diagnose a noise without hearing it on my end so the more information you can give me the better

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Cary York
Phone call session started
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans