Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It was running fine and my friend put my battery in

Customer Question
It was running fine...

It was running fine and my friend put my battery in backwards and fried something in the truck now nothing works

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Brand new battery, brand new solonoid from napa, but when i test the terminals on the starter side there isn't 12volts so i am unsure what's is my next step

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1983 Ford F-250

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Kinda i want to get it running then I want to take it to a mechanic to get it fixed. I do have the time but lack technical mechanical knowledge

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That it was running yesterday from a boost and now there isn't any power to anything now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/9/2018
Ford Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I would begin by checking all the fuses for the vehicle, lucky for you that this vehicle doesn't have a whole bunch of computers that would have been fried by this.I think the most likely component to be damaged by this would have been the ignition switch.Does absolutely nothing work? Not even like the dome light or something?Have you tried to inspect the wiring in the dash behind the fuse box or near the ignition switch already? Grab a voltmeter and start following the battery cable into the vehicle and checking for voltage.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good point but where would the fuse box be located for this truck... I can’t seem to pin point it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I watched that already
is that where your fuse box is? And do you have any blown fuses?
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician